This is a great recipe for a weeknight dinner + a slightly different variation for breakfast the next day.
The goal here is to make a base, and then add whatever carbs you feel like. I often mix this with whole wheat pasta, but it’s also great in a wrap, grain bowl, or burrito.
- If this is going to be a pasta dish, start the water to boil the pasta as you start this recipe.
- If this is going to be a grain bowl (or burrito with rice), start the grains a bit in advance (or take prepared grains out of the fridge. This recipe takes about 20 minutes, keep that in mind when calculating grain cooking times.
Toast in dry hot cast iron medium heat
- 1 tsp whole coriander seed
- 1 tsp whole cumin
While the spices are roasting, chop the onion, garlic and sweet potato.
When the spices are fragrant (2-3 min), add
- 1 tbsp EVOO
Let it get hot (about 1 min), then add:
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sweet potato, chopped
When onions are translucent (about 2-3 min)
- 1 pepper, chopped
- 1 large (or 2 medium or a bunch of small) tomato(es), chopped
Stir fry 1 min then add:
- 3/4 c frozen corn
- 3/4 c (~1/2 can) black beans
- 1 TBSP fajita mix or 2 tsp tex mex seasoning + 1 tsp corn starch
- 1/2 cup pasta water
Bring to a simmer then turn to low heat.
Simmer until all veggies are crisp but non mushable / eatable (al dente)
Mix in pasta in the pan or on your plate (if keeping some mix for Breakfast Burritos, make sure you set that aside or mix on plate!)
Serve with fresh cilantro.